Our Life: Living in a Season of After and Spinning Plates

This has been a season of "after". I think many of us live our lives in seasons of befores and afters. This is how we organize our lives, our memories, the small details of our daily experience. We have before we got married, after Moose was born, after Bo was born, and now, a new season of after Alan died. I know that somewhere in the distance we will begin to think of the time as after Moose started kindergarten, after Bo started school, and so many other categorical labels, but for now, it's still a season of aftermath. After the fact.

Days go by. You get back to the routine of "normal" life: a new normal.

I kind of hate that phrase.

Did you know the world record for spinning plates is 108? There's a man out there who spun 108 plates at one time. I will never hold this world record. I will never spin that many plates, but there are definitely times that I feel like I'm wearing the hats of more jobs than is realistic. I'm thankful that (for the most part and with the help of many) I've never dropped a plate.

So key the chords and listen for the changes... Spring has sprung and the time has come to change. Change what we were because there is no going back. I've said it once; I've said it a million times: Time waits for no man. If you try to go backwards you'll only make yourself miserable. Doing the same things over and over and expecting something different is the definition of insanity. Alas, what is it that I am saying? Sam and I are leaving our very comfortable jobs in Midlothian. We are starting a new season, giving ourselves a fresh start with new opportunities and new perspectives. I am dying my hair back to brown, and we are embracing all the change and all the new.




Comments

Popular Posts