Saturday, May 4, 2013

Moose: 1 Week Old ... Our First Week

1 Week Old
How Big?: 6 lbs 14 oz & 18.9 in (we will see again at our 2 week doctor's trip)
Clothing Size?: Too small for NB... and Mommy thought that there was no way he would be born and be that tiny.  Sheesh, what do I know?
What/When is he eating?: Mommy's Milk & OFTEN... lol.  Breastfeeding is a commitment.  It's also one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.  That being said, it's also the most incredible thing I've ever been able to do.  Moose eats every 2-3 hours, sometimes more.  Because he is a newborn, he has some periods (mostly in the afternoon or at night) where we cluster feed.  During those periods, he eats, poops, plays for about 10-20 minutes, and then, he is ready for more.  Other than those couple of hours, it is pretty nice.  I typically have about an hour and a half or 2 hours to do somethings in between feeds. 
Sleep?: This week we have had two shaky nights (one of which was an all out scream fest), and the rest knock on wood have been pretty decent.  Sam has been off this week, and he is a HUGE support.  He wakes up in the night to change diapers, and I feed.  He gets me fresh ICE cold water (if you know me, you know I drink room temperature water, but with breastfeeding all I want is ICE cold water) each feed too.  Last night was probably our best night yet.  Moose sleeps for about 2 or 3 hours at a time, so we sleep with him through the night.  I'm also trying to sleep during the day during one of his day sleeps. 
Movement?: He loooooves his hands.  This kid will NOT swaddle.  I am pretty sure he is Houdini.  We tried swaddling for the first few days, and then gave up on it.  We just mitten those paws and call it good.  He also can wiggle onto his side pretty well. 
Milestones?: Everything is a Milestone this week.  First day home. First time peeing on mommy. First time pooping in Daddy's hand.  (Yes... that happened!) First time taking a walk around the block.  The first week has been a huge learning cure. 
Hardest Moment(s) of the Week: This week had some definite high and lows.  Postpartum hormones are no joke! I think the hardest moment this week for me was when my husband wanted to surprise me. Everyone has been saying how much Moose looks like me, but that chin was still a mystery.  Sam hasn't shaved his goatee off in over 10 years.  So from upstairs I hear, "Oh Autumn, You're going to hate me!"  I turn to see my husband has shaved his face and head completely.  My reaction: Bad. Bad. Bad. I started bawling hysterically.  I asked him how he could do that to me before our once in a lifetime newborn photo session.  I don't think that I will ever live down that moment. My bad hunnie.... You just freaked me out. [Side note: Moose for sure has Sam's chin.]

The top 2 pictures are me as a baby and the bottom 2 are Moose.

Best Moment(s) of the Week: We have already made so many memories.  It seems like he has always been here.  I cannot imagine life without him.  I really enjoyed taking a walk today with Sam, the baby, and the dogs!

Couldn't not get a Moose Chalkboard picture! :) [Side note: No my son's legal name is not Moose... yes it is the only thing we call him.  What will they call him in kindergarten? I'm not sure. I have an idea of it, but I probably won't ever put it on the blog. Think double name... which I love those anyways.  He is Moose.  I've heard weirder names, lol! It just happened, and I couldn't imagine him as anything else.]

Dodger just LOVES the baby.  We are so blessed that he does. 

First Days at the Hospital 
After the baby arrived, the chaos in Labor and Delivery quieted down.  We were finishing up just about time for shift change, so we had a new nurse to help us get upstairs.  You have to stay in recovery for about an hour or so while they check your bleeding.  You also have to pee to be able to go upstairs.  That was a real challenge.  My right legs was still numb, so I had to try the bedpan... No go.  At that point in life pain was so relative that I willingly took a catheter so we could get moved.  

We kept thinking they would get us up to a room, but there were several people in front of us to move.  We finally made the decision to let my parents and grandparents come meet the baby in our Labor and Delivery room.  

After a few minutes of visiting, everyone left to go home and let us try to get some sleep.  Our timing was really nice because we went upstairs in time to get a night to ourselves as a family before seeing visitors on Saturday.  Very first diaper change... Moose peed on Daddy! No forgetting the tee-tee tent for him, lol.

There are lots of things that NO ONE tells you. Maybe it's because they forget.  I could see that it would be easy to forget with the sleepless nights and all the new.  Most people don't blog all about everything I guess.  

I had a hard labor at the very end, so I was swollen.  No one really tells you that.  I mean swolllllllen.  I didn't know that part of my body could be swollen.  There are also a million things you need to do each time you go to the bathroom.  Ulg. It's a war scene.  I needed nurses to help me the first three times I had to pee.  I was on pain killers, and life was a little bit fuzzy for me.  I was in pain.  I just sort of figured that labor would hurt, and you'd be sore.  I didn't really wrap my brain around actually hurting.  Some people don't have that.  I did... Oh well. It goes away, but I just wish I had been a little more prepared for that part of it.  All of that being said.  I would do it again and again for this little guy.

We never sent the baby to the nursery, so he stayed with us.  We practiced our feeding, and we were doing pretty well.  Moose just wouldn't stay latched.  The lactation consultant suggested nipple shields.  We have been using them since with no issues.  I had Sam Google to make sure it wouldn't be a problem to use them.  The worst I can find is that they are a pain.  We may try to wean a little bit, but not quite yet.  

On day 2 my milk came in. WEIRDEST feeling ever... lol.  It felt all tingly and then full.  It was really fast!  Everything about the weekend seemed fast, though, so par for the course.  I cannot believe that it has already been a whole week since he was born, and we were living all these things first hand.

Coming Home
There are lots of things that people don't tell you about coming home... I thought for sure that I would want this quite surreal moment where we came in our house just Sam, the baby, and I.  I thought it would be quiet and easy. WRONG.

I was sooooo grateful that my parents were still accidentally here.  When you walk in the door there are a million things you have to do.  You have all your crap from the hospital, so it has to come in the house.  In our case the baby was hungry, and I had to pee.  Neither of these things seem epic, but really in that moment they are huge.  I needed the bobby, a burp clothe, my nipple shield, and somewhere to feed.  (Sitting down is its own adventure those first couple of days, so that last part is easier said than done.)  Then, the baby had to have his diaper changed.  We didn't have out newborn diapers... where the diapers were was silly.  The wipes weren't open.  OMG you need forty hands all at once.  We had no trash can in the nursery.  

My advice: Have TV trays ready to put things close to you & Have people at home ready to help you.  My mom had to go get my pain prescription.  We had to put a little table in the bathroom next to the toilet.  When you get home you have potty swag, lol.  Seriously, using the bathroom is craziness.  You need somewhere to put the pads, your fresh underwear, your peri bottle, witch hazel pads, dermaplast, and in my case this weird healing foam stuff. My husband was running around like crazy, starting laundry, rearranging things for I'd say about 3 hours.  Just expect some chaos in those first few hours.  

Our First Doctor's Visit
We got home on Sunday and had our first doctor's visit on Monday.  Doctor says our boy is good!  The doctor was very complimentary of our feeding skills because Moose was only down 2 ounces. We go back again on Friday for our two week check-up. 

  Whew... Thanks for sticking with me through some long posts.  I just feel like I have so much to say! And so much to try to remember!!!

Lots of Love,
The Rileys


  1. I love reading your blog posts! The post-partum and delivery have been especially helpful. We always thought that when we have children, we'd do it naturally. It sounds so scary! I don't think I want them anymore. Haha.

  2. Even after all of it, I would do it all again exactly the same.

  3. Thank you for your posts. I am 26 weeks and love to read about your expierence. Especially about coming home!!